Tuesday, April 20, 2004

The epic battle

Okay, so maybe it's not an epic battle, but for the next three days, the Cubs will be in town taking on the Pirates. Woo Hoo! I find that it's rather easy to like the Pirates, as over the past couple of years they've pretty much been terrible, and I have a lot of practice loving a team that doesn't usually win (for those who may not know, first and foremost, I am, have been, and always will be a Cubs fan). There is something about a hometown crowd that is just too much fun to pass up. True, Pirates fans boo their own team as often, if not more than, the other team, but like the guy selling T-shirts on the 6th street bridge always tells me as I walk by, "If you ain't a Pirates fan, you ain't shit" (actually, he says Steelers fan, but that just wouldn't have worked in making my point, so I took some creative license).
So, under most circumstances I would be hardily cheering away for the good old boys in black and gold, but for the next three nights I'll be hoping they lose to the even gooder (oh dear...that's terrible) old boys in blue and red. Go Cubbies!!!!
On a related side note, it wasn't until 2001 when I attended a baseball game in Arizona for the first time that I realized that the official words to "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" were NOT "....for the Cubbies" but were "...for the (insert home team here)". The only other games I had been to up until this point (other than Cubs games that is) were White Sox games, and even there everyone sang "..for the Cubbies", so how was I supposed to know? To me that song is all about a drunken Harry Carry singing about five sporadic words (all that he could remember) while we all took bets about whether or not he would fall through the window of the announcers' box. Perhaps you will all laugh at me, but I'm hoping my fellow Chicago-area folk will understand and back me up on this!
Well, I have finished my bagel which means I need to get working (contrary to what it sounds like from what I've said so far, I actually DO have a lot of work to do!). :) Until we meet again....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home