Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Controversial art museum

Artist Wants to Build Corpse Art Factory

I saw this guy's exhibits when I was in Vienna back in 1999, and it was worth seeing. I don't have any formal opinions on the ethics in art, though, in principle, I don't have a problem with the concept of what this artist is doing. I can say that seeing some of it was...difficult (for lack of a better word), though I think the educational value of his exhibits cannot be questioned.

This article, though it does not state it directly, seems to imply that this is "wrong" in some way. I don't understand why the artist's father's past has anything to do with the artist himself, or his work. To me, it seems as if the author put that in there just for the scandal effect. It associates this exhibit with something that no one I know would endorse (that being genocide, particularly WWII (as people don't seem to care as much about the genocide going on in Darfur and other places in the world NOW as they do about the genocide that occurred 60 some years ago, but that's another whole issue altogether...)).

Other than that, the article makes it seem as disturbing as it possibly could - like he's some evil, mad scientist robbing graves and desecrating (yeah, i spelled that wrong but i'm too lazy to use the spell check) corpses.

Moral of my story is, if you get a chance, go see this exhibit (it won't be here in the States, I can almost guarantee that!). Look up more info on it. Here's another article: Plasticized Corpse Exhibit. This shows some pictures, including the one below, if you're interested.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home