Thursday, April 22, 2004

Movies

This is such a bad time of year for movies. I keep waiting for SOMETHING to come out that I'm interested in seeing. True, true, "Kill Bill Vol. II" is out now, and I do want to go see that, but what about my other options: "The Punisher", "Scooby Doo II", "Ella Enchanted"???? I yearn for the summer when, along with all of the major blockbusters, there is usually a rush of independent and foreign films that make appearances at my beloved Manor (the theater about two minutes walk from our apartment). Somehow even a really BAD movie doesn't seem quite as bad when not in English....
Biggets movie disappointments of the last year or so (basically since i've lived in PA) for me (and these would only include movies that I HAVE seen):
Matrix 2 which was quickly and hugely overshadowed by the GARGANTUAN disappointment of Matrix 3.
Bend it like Beckham.....why did everyone think this movie was so great???
My Big Fat Greek Wedding....sure, a laugh here or there, but overall nowhere NEAR the hype.
Camp...why the hell did i see this? honestly, there was NOTHING else playing of interest and i had never heard of it before (often a good sign).
I'm sure there are more, but it's hard to be disappointed when I go into a movie expecting it to be pretty stupid (which does not mean it can't be entertaining).
Some of the pleasant surprises and/or highlights:
21 grams
Lost in Translation
Intolerable Cruelty (can't go wrong with the Coen Brothers)
Adaptation
Secretary
She loves me, she loves me not
Pirates of the Caribbean (believe it or not, this was a pleasant surprise...besides, Johnny Depp is one fine lookin' man).
ooh ooh, i'm forgetting something obvious and important. ah well...I will think of it.

Well, if I have neglected anything that anyone would like to contribute, please feel free. And now, I must return to work (this has been my foodless lunch break, as I spent a two hour training eating goldfish and now i'm stuffed!).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home