Thursday, June 24, 2004

The Sound of Music

This week I started bringing CD's with me to work. I have been subjected to sitting at my desk staring at my computer for a couple of weeks now (mostly), as things have been slow with our subjects (I work in Neuropsych research, for those who don't know). So I've been messing around with people's brains (the images of their brains at least, but that just doesn't sound as cool). With no window in my office, there isn't much to provide me with those brief moments of respite that are so crucial to the preservation of one's sanity. SO, I've been listening to music. It's a wonder how much faster it makes the day go by.

It also keeps my mind from wandering to things that piss me off (not that I'm a person who gets easily pissed off, but it seems to happen often when I take the time read the news) or that disturb be greatly (again, this happens most often when I read the news). Then there are the minor annoyances that drift in and out of my mind, which probably make the best post-material, but I still prefer to listen to good music.

There is a local coffee shop on the block where I work that plays EXCELLENT music. I think the employees just get to put in whatever CD they want, and because it's not a big yuppie coffee chain like Starbucks, the employees tend to have good taste. I think a large part of the atmosphere that I love about that place is the music.

Panera...worst music ever. They play all the bad classical music that makes people think they hate classical music, when really they just have been forced to listen to stupid crap so much that they don't realize there is good classical music out there. Irritating...

The other day at dinner, I had the pleasure (please note sarcasm) of hearing "Have you ever really loved a woman", "Celebration", and some other bad song that I hadn't heard in years. I think I was able to tune out the rest by engaging in good conversation (or perhaps by indulging in the wonder that is the Max and Erma's chocolate chipped cookie).

SO, the question I pose to all of you today is this: What is the most ridiculous, worst, most surprising (pleasantly or otherwise), funny, or interesting song that you have ever heard in a public place?

Before Jon can beat me to this one, I will share one of mine:
In London, on a boat on the Thames, Jon and I heard a Musak (for those who may not know -- seriously elevatorized (woo hoo, good made up word!) version of a song) version of "Gangsta's Paradise". No one else on the boat seemed to catch the (here comes another one) ridiculosity of the song, but it did not escape our notice.

ooh ooh, speaking of made up words, I came up with a great one last night: dotation.
That is when one dotes on another, dotations are the result.
Okay, back to the question at hand...the songs. Share with me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home