Tuesday, June 22, 2004

Poisoning Pigeons in the Park

In other news...

For the one year that I lived out in Phoenix, AZ, I was constantly on the lookout for elk. Everytime we drove north of the city, numerous signs warned us of the impending danger of elk leaping across the road. Sadly, I never did witness the wonderful sight of a REALLY large animal bounding majestically in front of my car. So, that makes me really jealous of this kid, who got to have an elk jump through his bedroom window and run around his house!!

In my attempts to be somewhat politically active, I have decided to endorse this new solution to reducing global warming. Damn all that belching livestock!!! It's all their fault that it gets so damn hot in the summer!

For any who have ever listened to Tom Lehr's song Poisoning Pigeons in the Park", you will probably laugh at this story about a bird lover who apparently killed 250 pigeons with tainted seed (whoa-oh-oh....tainted seed. Now I know I've got to....shut the hell up, i've got to......shut the hell up....).

And finally, this story goes out to all those people I know (and I guess even those I don't know) who teach students of one age or another. If only you could make all your students write apologies in their own blood...

Okay, really, this is the last thing...I mean it this time.
Here is the quote of the day:
"All art is at once surface and symbol.
Those who go beneath the surface do so at their peril.
Those who read the symbol do so at their peril.
It is the spectator, and not life, that art really mirrors.
Diversity of opinion about a work of art shows that the work is new, complex, and vital.
When critics disagree the artist is in accord with himself.
We can forgive a man for making a useful thing as long as he does not admire it. The only excuse for making a useless thing is that one admires it intensely.
All art is quite useless." -Oscar Wilde (preface to The Picture of Dorian Gray)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home