Friday, September 03, 2004

Captured?

Hmm...word on the street is that the US caputer Bin Laden?
Osama Bin Laden has been Captured in Pakistan?
IF this is true, I would put money on it that, since Bush didn't decide to announce this (to my knowledge) at the RNC, that he will choose instead to make the announcement a week from tomorrow - on September 11th. Yeah, going for the big-time symbolism, that would be my guess.
I'm ambivalent about this. True, capturing Bin Laden has been the goal for 3 years, right? However, two things about this DON'T make me exstatic. One, capturing Bin Laden is only going to have symbolic effect. His capture (and I'm sure, subsequent death) will not cut down or, in my opinion, undermine in any way the workings of the Al Quaida network. If anything, he is fullfilling the most glorious role of martyr for the cause. Second, and this is the BIG ONE, this is going to be a HUGE plus for the JaggerBush in the coming election (shouldn't be, but your average voter doesn't really THINK anyway, and the capture of Bin Laden would make the JaggerBush look like a hero). Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised, again IF THIS IS TRUE AND NOT JUST RUMOR (i'm obviously not really buying it yet), if the US hasn't had him since way back when, when he first 'disappeared'. Why not wait until the crucial moment, two months before election day, when it can be announced on the anniversary of his crimes that the mastermind behind the September 11th attacks has been caught?
If anything, I fear that the capture of Bin Laden now will only serve to perpetuate the hate, intolerance, and overall ignorant idiocy (perhaps this is redundant?) that seems to abound.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home