Monday, May 02, 2005

It's almost like Thursday...

Two days of work this week, and then I'm off to Chicago. WOO HOO!!!!

It's a bit strange helping my Mom plan her wedding - somehow it feels...backwards, but still good. She reminds me now of a twenty-something girl planning her first wedding. Seeing her now makes me realize that I don't think I've ever seen her really happy before. Of course, I've seen her having really happy moments - I'm talking more a general-state-of-being kind of happy. To me, she has always been the care-taker - taking care of my sisters and I, the various men in her life, the elderly people in our family (her parents and beyond), her grandchildren. I've done my best to not be one of her charge - to be instead a person she can turn to. Giving your own mother advice is a strange thing - practically an art. And this time, she took my advice (which happened to be the same thing just about EVERYONE else was telling her too, but still...). And so now, she is getting married and has real potential for some long-term happiness with a person who, for once, will take care of her in return. I don't feel like I have to rescue her from her unhappiness anymore. She seems to have found her own way out, and it's better that way. This makes me feel good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home