Sunday, September 19, 2004

Floods

As everyone knows, there have been a lot of hurricaines as of late (with two more to come). The last, Ivan, set records for remaining an actual hurricaine for 10 days. It also caused a LOT of flooding even as far north as here: Pittsburgh.
Last night (Saturday), we went downtown for the Pirates game. The flooding was pretty unbelievable. Whole roads and sidewalks were underwater. Today I went back, camera in tow. The water had gone down probably a good 6-8 feet (which ended up being about 50-60 feet back down the shoreline). There was debris and mud everywhere. Perhaps the most unusual sight though was the plethora of beached boates. There was a boat in the middle of the road, SEVERAL points grounded at Point State Park...it was crazy.
Once I get the pics developed I will see what I can do about posting a few. I also got some cool pics of this guy who is travelling around to major cities with big anti-JaggerBush posters that he tapes all over the ground and lets people sign. There were some pretty amusing things written on the posters. Some of my favorites:
"I trust no Bush but my own"
"Bush is a sick, sick man who needs therapy"
"Encourage thinking, say No to Bush"
Hmm...I can't think of anymore at the moment. Perhaps Michelle can help as she has digital photos of the signs and might be able to read some of the other great comments.
Anyway, here are a couple pictures from the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that depict some of the flooding downtown (the boats floating at the point were some of the points we saw grounded today, as the water level subsided):
Ohio River Consumes Point State Park
Allegheny River Overflow

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home