Tuesday, September 14, 2004

I'm not socially stunted!

This article was posted in the comments, but I was very excited and had to share with everyone. I'm not socially stunted just because I border on being freakishly short! WOO HOO!!!
The article, in brief, talks about findings that indicate that short children are not less likely to have friends or not be cast in good roles in plays (interesting variable to measure...).
It's funny, because I've always seen my shortness as a strength rather than as a handicap (socially, that is). People remember me, because there is something immediately distinctive about me. And in remember, I am more familiar. And familiarity breeds attraction (and by this I don't mean sexual attraction, but fondness and friendship kind of attraction). SOOOO, my shortness, I feel, has HELPED me socially. It also gives me something about myself that I can laugh at, and healthy self-deprecating humor is often a good icebreaker.
So, shorties of the world have no fear. We may be used as arm rests and beer rests, we might get more elbows to the face, armpits to the nose, and beer spilled on us at parties, and we might ALWAYS have a hard time seeing at sporting events, concerts, movies, etc., but we are not socially defunct. WOO HOO!!! :) :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home