Tuesday, September 21, 2004

Big Brother's Okay!

I found the following quote in the NY Times:
"The value we gain in public safety far outweighs any perception by the community that this is Big Brother who's watching."
RON HUBERMAN, executive director of Chicago's office of emergency management and communications, on that city's new video surveillance system.


I'm curious as to your thoughts on this sentiment. Do you really feel safer or think that you are safer under increased surveillance?

My thoughts? Well, I think it's bordering on ridiculous to assume that by taking away privacy, the government can ensure public safety. I think it's ridiculous to make the connection (which many do in arguments for this increased surveillance) that more surveillance=a safer society=a more utopian society=happy people.
I'm not happy; are you happy?

Sure, video surveillance around the city of Chicago is not a camera in every private TV. However, when strolling along the lake or through Grant Park, the moment of peace, quiet, pleasure, whatever is altered by the fact that WE ARE BEING WATCHED. AND, I think it's naive to assume that cameras in ever TV is not a possibility (or reality). It's certainly legal now, under the Lord High Protector The JaggerBush.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home