Friday, May 13, 2005

A follow-up to my baseball gripe

Thanks to Brian for sending me this article on Cubs former closer Latroy Hawkins.

After last Friday's game, I was rather unhappy with the Cubs fans for booing him the way they did. Yes, I was pissed he blew the save - for the 4th time this season. Yes, I was unhappy that they lost. But as I said then, why not boo the whole team for only putting up 2 runs in 9 innings? Why not boo yourselves for being such fair-weathered asshole fans?

Anyway, it just made me mad. I think this article says pretty much what I have thought about Hawkins. And mad kudos to Michael Barrett for being such a classy ball player.

A sample:
"Right now, I'm sure his confidence is down, big time," Baker said. "It has to be down. I don't care who you are, if you're booed the way he's booed, it has to affect you. I was booed every day in [Los Angeles]. As soon as I took my jacket off to go hit, they'd boo. I had my car scratched, gas lamps broken, rocks [thrown] at my house, all kinds of things. Then things changed. The next year I hit 30 home runs and I was on the all-Dodger team."
...
"I feel awful for him," Barrett said. "First of all, I want everyone to know this guy has been a Cub fan his whole life. He's a good pitcher and a great teammate. He wants to win more than anybody on this team. When he goes out there and doesn't pitch well, it hurts us all. We're all behind this guy 100 percent. It's just been baffling."

3 Comments:

At 8:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post. I used to be checking constantly this weblog and I am inspired! Extremely useful information specially the ultimate part :) I maintain such info much. I used to be seeking this particular information for a very lengthy time.
Thank you and good luck.
car removal brisbane
cash for cars removal sydney

 
At 9:19 PM, Blogger Delight Car Removal said...

Thanks for sharing. Wow, that was strange. I just wrote a really long comment but after I clicked submit my comment didn't show up. Grrrr... well, I'm not writing all that over again. Anyways, just wanted to say fantastic blog!
cash for old cars
car wreckers logan

 
At 10:04 PM, Blogger Max Cash For Cars said...

Truly, this article is really one of the very best in the history of articles. I am a antique ’Article’ collector and I sometimes read some new articles if I find them interesting. And I found this one pretty fascinating and it should go into my collection. Very good work.
car buyer ipswich
cash for cars logan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home