Monday, September 27, 2004

The importance of 4 years

At the party we had this past weekend (which was a jolly good time, if i do say so myself), I had a conversation with a friend about the upcoming election. An argument that was put forth was that, if The JaggerBush is re-elected, things will get worse. However, this would not be so bad, as it would drive the voting public to demand change. I agree that things would get worse. And I agree that, PERHAPS this would lead to a change four years down the road (though The JaggerBush won't be in the election in four years anyway...). HOWEVER, I think the next four years are crucial and cannot just be suffered through until something better comes around.

One MAJOR reason I think this is stated in this article. Basically, the next president is going to be able to select SEVERAL federal judges during his term. A federal judge is a LIFETIME appointment. LIFETIME being the key word here. It already sickens me that there are those like Leon Holmes running around. This isn't even a matter of me wanting Federal Court Judges who have similar views on issues as me. It's a matter of me wanting judges that THINK and are at least quasi-rational. I don't want anymore judges who think that pregnancies from rape occur "as often as snowfall in Miami"(just as one example). The decisions of the next president, as with ANY president, extend so far beyond four years, that I don't take any comfort in the fact that, if re-elected, at least the JaggerBush himself can't be around any longer than one more term (though I wouldn't put it past his administration to try to engineer it so that he COULD stick around!).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home