Thursday, September 23, 2004

The wonders of caffeine

So, the Cubs won last night, and as predicted it was a close game: 1-0.
Two disappointing things occurred, however.
The fireworks were cancelled. That in itself is not a big deal. HOWEVER, they chose to NOT TELL the crowd until after they did this whole, LONG stupid promotion for the 84 Lumber Classic (PGA tournament opening today around here). After waiting for over 20 minutes, we get an announcement that there will be no fireworks.
We had either two or three families sitting together in front of us (there was an assortment of adults and about 7-8 kids ranging from 4-14ish years old). At least 3 TIMES PER INNING, these kids were getting up and leaving or coming back. I think they might have seen maybe 20 minutes of the actual game. While they were not in our row, they climbed up INTO our row to get in and out, so everytime they came or went, we couldn't see. I started having to stand up for a couple of minutes at a time while they haggled for money from their parents, explained why they'd lost their little brother out by the concessions, or took orders for food. FINALLY, during the 9th inning (mind you, these were not inning breaks but in the middle of game play), they were all leaving and standing right in front of us. After a whole game of this and a WHOLE LOT of caffeine, I was assertive.
I am going to repeat that, because you won't hear it often: I WAS ASSERTIVE. I was very proud. It was a nice mix of polite irritation with a hint of bitchiness, and I made sure I said something when the parents were definitely listening, as my irritation was more with them than with the kids anyway. Alas, I got to see the bottom of the 9th in it's entirety and then had a clear view for the stupid golf-promo and lack of fireworks.
On the bus ride home we had the pleasure of sitting in front of a squad of Pitt gymnasts. It made me wonder if the valley girl voice is a prerequisite for being their friends. Even the guys seemed to talk that way.
OH, oh, and I'm in the market for a teeny, tiny violin that actually plays, so if anyone has any info on where I could obtain such an item, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home