Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Hump Day

I could be sitting up at the nice, AC'd MR Research Center right now, but I'm not. Sadly, we had to cancel today's subject. SO, instead of chatting away with the MR techs for an hour and a half, I am in my office doing all the work that I would rather avoid. You know, the busy work that piles up, the tasks that each take only a few minutes but pile up to the point of requiring hours to complete.
I actually have a major project to tackle, but all this stupid little crap keeps getting in the way. I start to read the papers I need to read (and trust me, reading scientific journal articles takes every bit of concentration I have) and someone asks me a question, or gives me something stupid to do that only takes 5 minutes, but totally breaks my concentration.
I would go the library and sit and read for the next 2.5 hours of work, but then I would be likely to anger someone who happened to be looking for me (undoubtedly just to do something stupid that could wait anyway), and who would just assume I had taken off early and gone home.

So, I've been trying to come up with some exciting, interesting, bizarre job that I could get (or career that I could pursue). Things I've come up with that might make me happy being:
- the person who gets to name products (like lipsticks and fast food sandwiches)
- the person who gets to try out all the cool new products before they hit the market
- the person who gets to travel around the world, staying in hotels (or camping out), eating at restaurants, seeing attractions and then rating them for some magazine or tour book or something.
- the tour guide of the Ducky Boat


Actually, one of the jobs that I had in college that was the most interesting and the most fun (and where the hours passed the fastest) was when I gave tours of the Windmill on Windmill Island. I got to meet people from all over the world, the people I had to work with actually WANTED TO BE THERE, I got to be moving around, talking to people all day - it was just fun. Do I want to make a career of giving tours? No, not really. But I'm also coming to realize I don't want to make a career doing what I'm doing now. I'm in no hurry to settle into a longterm career though. In fact, I can't really do so in the next two years anyway, knowing that in 2-3 years, I will be moving out of the Pittsburgh area. SO, now is the time to have some fun, crazy job, right?

Any suggestions???

3 Comments:

At 8:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, if you get into any facet of marketing (e.g., your first two ideas), Pancho and I might have to move out.

 
At 7:44 AM, Blogger Schna said...

eh, i don't think the marketing stuff is really all that appealing anyway. it would be interesting for about 2 weeks, and then i would be bored with it. sadly though, i think it's something i'd be good at - tricking people into buying things they don't need (or buying the more exspensive version fo things they might need). however, my HUGE guilt complex would never allow it. so fear not, LHPJ. :)

 
At 2:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that it would be cool to have the job that Tom Hanks had in Big. My job is to go to work, and do nothingbut play with toys, oh, and make a ton of money doing it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home